It is not many information about taxis in Bulgaria. Especially if you search for something fresh and relevant for the years 2015 or 2016.
Before travel we managed to find only several forums with travel scare stories and strikingly different prices. Also, quite often there are sites offering, under the guise of taxis, shuttle services from airport to a hotel and back.
After a holiday in Bulgaria we decided to systematize the information and our experience and to share it with you.
Three major facts about taxis in Bulgaria: what do you need to know to be sure you are not cheated?
- Taxi in Bulgaria is very expensive. Theoretically, Bulgarian taxi drivers drive with the counter, prices are always attached to the glass of one of the doors. Clearly listed prices for a trip around the city, outside the city and at night.In practice, many taxi drivers aspire to negotiate with you about the payment before the trip. We know about cases, when per three minutes of trip from Sunny Beach to Nessebar people paid 50 or even 100 EUR.
- Prices for taxis, depend on the particular city – in Pomorie prices 2 times lower, than in Sunny Beach. In this case, the probability that you will be deceived, at times less. Similarly, prices for taxis at airports are very high – because tourists have nowhere to go and they have to pay large sums of money.
- The counter of some dishonest taxi drivers is spinning faster than wheels of a car. Very often is possible to face to similar at popular and expensive resorts: Golden Sands, Sunny Beach, Nessebar…
The cost of a taxi in Bulgaria
The price for a taxi in Bulgaria is directly dependent on the resort. The more expensive resort, the more there are 5* hotels, the higher the price of a taxi. Similarly, the probability that you will be deceived sharply increases with the popularity of the resort.
In small towns, where there are not many tourists, but many of those who have moved for permanent residence, taxi drivers are very honest – worth to cheat once and you lose immediately almost all Russian-speaking clients.
At the same time, in purely tourist places, where people are a continuous stream, often not quite sober and adequate, tourists should be more vigilant – taxi drivers will try to take much higher fee than they should be.
Taxi prices in Sunny Beach and Nessebar
(from 6:00 to 22:00)
(from 22:00 to 6:00)
|The cost of call of a taxi||4.50 levs||5.25 levs|
|Offpeak Tariff Rate||4.50 levs||5.25 levs|
|The price per 1 km of run through the city||3.00 levs||3.50 levs|
|The price per 1 km of run on the highway||3.00 levs||3.50 levs|
|The price per 1 minute waiting (downtime)||1.50 levs||1.75 levs|
It is necessary to clarify, that the price for a call of a taxi and the offpeak tariff rate – are usually the same payment, they do not sum up. But particularly arrogant taxi drivers, if they see inexperienced tourists, sometimes try to take over the call separately, and the offpeak tariff rate – separately.
Taxi prices in Pomorie and other towns
Pomorie – a fairly typical, inexpensive Bulgarian resort, famous, primarily, for balneological procedures and other treatments. If you travel to a place, which is not too advertised, expect of such prices:
(from 6:00 to 22:00)
(from 22:00 to 6:00)
|The cost of call of a taxi||2.00 levs||2.00 levs|
|Offpeak Tariff Rate||2.00 levs||2.00 levs|
|The price per 1 km of run through the city||2.00 levs||2.00 levs|
|The price per 1 km of run on the highway||2.00 levs||2.00 levs|
|The price per 1 minute waiting (downtime)||1.00 lev||1.00 lev|
As you can see, taxi prices at not yet advertised resorts, are less 2-3 times. And when you consider taxi drivers honesty, then all 4-5 times.
How to order a taxi from Burgas Airport to your resort?
There are situations, when you do not need just a taxi, but just want to quickly and easily get from the airport to the hotel and back. In such situations, we recommend to use KiwiTaxi services. You will have to make an order and pay in advance, but as a result you will save 3-4 times.
To book a transfer is possible in the search form below:
Other useful articles:
- Transfer from the airport in Bulgaria – how to save?
- Self-organization of vacation in Bulgaria – tips and tricks
- Where to find the cheapest tours to Bulgaria?
- How much money do you need to rest in Bulgaria?
- What are the prices in Bulgaria? We honestly tell about the actual prices for tourists
- How much does food cost in Bulgaria? Accurate prices for food in supermarkets and restaurants
- What Bulgarian resorts do we recommend? An overview of all resorts we have visited
- What to see in Bulgaria – the best sights and resorts.
- Public transport in Bulgaria – how not to overpay for taxis?