How to travel by intercity regular buses in Bulgaria?
Unfortunately, there is not much information about the transport in Bulgaria in the Internet.
You can easily find deals on airport transfers, car rental or stories about terrible prices for a taxi. But how to travel cheaply, where are bus stops, how to buy a ticket and how much does it cost, what a bus schedule – almost no one writes about it.
The names of bus stops in Bulgarian and their location
In Bulgarian bus stops called «avtogara». Unfortunately, most of them are not shown on Google maps and Yandex maps.
To make it easier to navigate, we wrote several separate articles with bus schedules at different Bulgarian resorts. Also there are maps in them with marked bus stops:
- Bus timetable from Nessebar and Sunny Beach
- Bus timetable from Burgas
- Bus timetable from Pomorie
- A schedule of public transport and bus stops in Balchik
- Bus timetable to Varna and back
To help you to know exactly what to look for, we add photos of bus stops in Bulgaria:
How to find out the bus schedule at your bus stop?
At every stop there is a list of routes, that pass through it. It is, of course, not very accurate, but allows to navigate.
Where to get tickets and how much they cost?
In every bus there is a conductor. Most often it is a woman, who will come to you on her own. Tell her the place of your destination, pay for a ticket and receive a check. Everything is simple and without cheating.
Approximate prices for travel by bus see in articles about specific resorts or in the general article about transport in Bulgaria.
A ticket price does not always depend on a distance
An interesting fact is that the price of the ticket does not always depend on the distance. For example, for the same cost from Pomorie you can get to Ravda or the northern part of Sunny Beach. But between the resorts is approximately half an hour the way …
Comfortableness of traveling by buses
Buses in Bulgaria are quite comfortable. Everything is relatively new, air conditioners operate and there are no squeaks. Their speed is quite high and long stopovers – a rarity.
Despite the fact that even at Bulgarian coast there are serpentines, in most cases the road is not tedious. Except, from Nessebar to Varna in buses you can suffer from travel sickness. We traveled for about 2 hours, and even a little bit got tired.
How often do buses run?
Where is convenient to reach by bus?
How much can you save if you travel by bus?
At the same time you get a complete freedom to decide when and where you are traveling, to decide yourself how much time to allocate to the viewing of a place. Even a trivial choice of restaurant is defined in advance in many tours.
There are disadvantages – you will not have a guide, and some of the remotest corners can only be visited by a terribly expensive taxi or by your own car.
In general, we recommend to watch the coastal part of Bulgaria on your own, and more distant – on excursions.
Still have questions? Ask them in comments – we will try to help.
What else is useful to read on this topic?
- What is better in Bulgaria, independent tourism or guided tours?
- A detailed schedule of buses in Bulgaria: where are located bus stops, how much does a ticket cost, where to go?
- How to organize a great holiday in Bulgaria on your own – we share our experience and give advices.
- We compare Bulgarian resorts in terms of interestingness and transport. Where to live, to see everything?
- Advices to tourists, who are going to have a rest in Bulgaria – our selection.
- Renting a car in Bulgaria – basic tricks.
- How much money do you need for a good holiday in Bulgaria?
- An overview of the most exciting resorts in Bulgaria – our reviews and photos.
- A selection of the best photos from Bulgaria.