The climate of Bulgaria will be habitual for all residents of post-Soviet countries: here is moderately hot summer and snowy, but rarely cold winter. In connection with this, the country has two tourist seasons: summer and winter. The main part of tourists prefer to come to Bulgaria during warm season to relax under the gentle sunshine and to swim in the clear sea water. But there are other vacationers, who like to spend winter days at the slopes of wonderful ski resorts of the country.
The climate and the weather in Bulgaria as a whole during a summer tourist season
Tourist season in summer opens approximately in the second half of May and lasts until September inclusive. Many tourists during this period prefer sunbathing ashore or swimming in the sea. If you like a hot weather, we recommend to visit Golden Sands (though prices threre are oriented to tourists). At all other resorts of the country is more or less comfortable and not so stuffy.
To learn more about good beaches, the sea temperature and the purity of the water we recommend to read our separate articles:
- Beaches of Bulgaria: photos, reviews and descriptions.
- What is the sea in Bulgaria? – Photos and the temperature of the water.
- The purity of the sea and beaches in Bulgaria.
Depending on a month, the temperature of the sea water varies between +20 °C – +27 °C. At not crowded resorts of Bulgaria the water is clean and clear all day long.
The temperature of the surrounding air in coastal cities of the country does not usually exceed +27 °C (and frequently – below). A favorable weather is formed due to refreshing sea breeze.
In terms of excursions in Bulgaria, there is something to see, but unfortunately their cost is unduly high. We recommend not spend money to visit coastal cities and their attractions, but to use public transport (which, by the way, is very good and comfortable), or rent a car. This variant is much cheaper (2-3 times). In our view, it makes sense to pay for organized excursions only into the hinterland or to other countries.
The nature in Bulgaria is very beautiful. Not to be unfounded, we add more photos, taken during our holiday. All images are signed and describe the place where they were taken, with a small amount of useful information.
You may be interested: Prices in Bulgaria of excursions schedules in 2015 – 2016; Bulgaria: bus schedules. Stops, tickets, prices.
The climate and the weather in Bulgaria as a whole during a winter tourist season
During a winter tourist season in Bulgaria ski resorts are actively developing. The main part of them starts operating in December, when the weather is more or less invariable, and operate until the middle of April (some of them – until May).
Ski resort Borovets, for example, starts to operate in November, but we would recommend you to visit it in January – February, when is enough of snow and the temperature is quite comfortable. November and December can present unpleasant surprises to tourists in the form of rain and temperature fluctuations.
The most requested ski resorts of Bulgaria are considered: Bansko, Borovets and Pamporovo. Apart from the listed, there are several smaller, but no less beautiful, resorts. If you want to have a good rest, and not overpay, in this case, for popularity of the place, we recommend to visit Bulgaria.
Advantages of Bulgarian ski resorts
The main part of Bulgarian ski resorts is relatively young, and only one (Borovets) remembers the times of Soviet Union. Resorts are equipped with all necessary equipment and appliances, at some of them there is even free Wi-Fi.
The obvious advantages of Bulgarian ski resorts are:
- Availability of worthy hotels, good service and comfortable conditions of a rest.
- Fast modern ski lifts with high throughput.
- Different tracks, both for beginners and for experienced skiers.
- Some resorts offer tracks for snowboarders.
- In Bulgaria there are very diverse tracks: very short and very long.
- Ski resorts offer excellent preparatory schools for children and adults.
- Almost ideal weather and mild climate.
- Resorts, mainly are located in national parks of the country, which are incredibly beautiful and interesting.
- To all ski resorts, you can easily reach from Sofia or Plovdiv.
If you are interested in more details about the winter tourist season, or about ski resorts of Bulgaria, we advise to read our article: When to go to Bulgaria?
Bulgaria in spring and fall
Spring and fall months in Bulgaria are usually very changeable. Sometimes, tourists can visit many interesting sights of Bulgaria during this time, but it also happens that the weather does not allow to leave your apartment for long. As an exception is possible to allocate: September, when many tourists come to enjoy the “velvet season”, and May, when there is a comfortable air temperature and the weather, in whole.
Free weather forecast in Bulgaria
For your convenience, we offer active links of weather in the most popular resorts of the country:
Useful links and interesting information:
- Everything the most interesting about the sea in Bulgaria.
- In what season of the year is preferable to travel to Bulgaria?
- Which of the Bulgarian resorts to choose?
- Advantages and disadvantages of beaches in Bulgaria.
- Schedules of excursions in Bulgaria and their prices.
- What interesting things can be found in Bulgaria?
- Detailed and current bus schedules of seaside towns of Bulgaria.