For those who have not yet had time to visit Bulgaria, but plans to visit it, we describe in detail about a vacation in this Balkan country.
If you are not very versed in geography (but want to learn more about a pretty low-cost vacation, and maybe even a place where you will want to live a few months in a year), then read this article. You will not only know all about the location of the country, but also will know about the good nature of Bulgarians and about wonderful climate of this region.
Where is Bulgaria?
Bulgaria, or as it is officially called the Republic of Bulgaria, is quite large Balkan country. Its area is 110,993 square kilometers. By its territory it occupies 104th place in the world. Her possessions stretched in the eastern part of the Balkan Peninsula (or, in the south-eastern part of Europe), along the Black Sea coast. Water is not very salty, but very clean and clear, is inhabited by many species of fish.
By what countries does Bulgaria border?
Bulgaria on the world map
Below on the map you can see the most popular resorts and attractions of the country. To learn more about them, read our blog, in which we talk about comfortable for recreation and residence Bulgarian cities, and also about famous places of the coastal region.
Unfortunately, all we would like to show and to tell, could not fit on the map, that ia why we recommend to read our articles about summer vacation in Bulgaria or to consider proposed excursions around the country.
For travelers, who prefer to travel independently, we have prepared a detailed bus schedule from different cities of Bulgaria. Look for it in the tab “Services” in the header of our website.
A visa regime with Bulgaria
According to information published in the Internet, Bulgaria is a member of the EU since 2007. Actually this is not true. Finally, Bulgaria has not yet been accepted into the ranks of the EU member states.
To get to Bulgaria, is necessary to issue a visa. Do not worry, it is much easier to issue it, than a Schengen visa. If you have a visa to other countries (Cyprus, Romania, Croatia), or there is a Schengen visa, for you it will not be difficult to enter the territory of the Bulgarian Republic.
To find out more about all the intricacies of obtaining a visa, we recommend to read our article: A visa to Bulgaria.
You also might be interested in an article: An insurance in Bulgaria.
The climate of Bulgaria
The climate in Bulgaria is very pleasant and mild. The sea is generally quiet and peaceful, with clear water (during 14 days of our holiday in the sea only once was storm). Compared to the Adriatic sea of Montenegro, the Black sea in Bulgaria seemed to us more cooler, but it is quite comfortable for swimming.
In summer in resort cities of the country is rarely debilitating heat, since a small sea breeze is very refreshing. In the year there are a lot of sunny days. A season starts at the end of May and lasts until the end of September.
For more information about in what time of year it is better to go to Bulgaria, see our separate article: When to go to Bulgaria?
In winter in the country is no less interesting. From December (in some resorts – from November) in Bulgaria are opened numerous ski resorts, which by their service are not inferior to popular European. One of the most popular winter resorts in Bulgaria is considered Borovets. Do not miss the opportunity to enjoy a beautiful and affordable winter vacation on the slopes of the Bulgarian mountains.
Beaches and the water in Bulgaria
Almost all beaches, which we were able to visit in Bulgaria were sandy, what is undoubtedly a huge plus in a choice of vacation spots. Only on small beaches in the old part of Nessebar, a promenade is composed of small shells, along which is not always pleasant to walk, and especially to lie down. In Pomorie, you can find concrete beaches, but they are located only along the isthmus, which connects the old and the new part of the city.
The water temperature depending on summer months ranges between +20 – +27 °C. The water is usually warmer in coves and bays of Nessebar, Pomorie.
For a more detailed information about beaches of Bulgaria, their pros and cons, read our article: Beaches of Bulgaria: photos, reviews and descriptions.
Attractions of Bulgaria
Almost every city in Bulgaria has its own attractions. We will briefly describe only those which we ourselves were able to see during our vacation.
We liked Bulgaria with its amazingly beautiful and diverse nature, gorgeous plants and shady parks.
- Probably one of the most attractive places in the country – the Botanical Garden in Balchik. This is truly an amazing place. In its territory there is a second largest in the world collection of cacti. Also, this place is remarkable by a palace, which is located nearby, or, to be more precise, the summer residence of Romanian Queen Maria. An entrance into the park is paid (the ticket price is 7 levs for an adult), but the emotions, that you get when visiting this wonderful place are worth of spent finances.
- Another no less beautiful and interesting place – Lake Pomorie. On the territory of the pond is located a great bird sanctuary, from its waters is still produced a salt, and people are treated with miraculous mud from the bottom of the lake. On its shores you can always find tourists, smeared with mud from feet to head. We remind you again: in order to avoid the deterioration of health, before using this mud is better to consult with your doctor.
- Along Lake Pomorie there is a narrow dam (at the widest point it is hardly reaches 50 meters), which separates the pond from the Black Sea. Sandy spit, which stretches from the sea, is a favorite vacation spot for those tourists, who prefer peaceful, quiet and secluded vacation. The beginning of this spit on the part of Pomorie is occupied by nudists.
In the country there are interesting national parks, but they are located in the interior of the country, so we could not see them. If you were lucky enough to see the beauty of these places and you want to share it with others – we will welcome any information.
In terms of cultural attractions can be mentioned in Bulgaria:
- Old Nessebar – a beautiful ancient city, part of the territory of which is located under the water. Narrow streets of the peninsula with small wooden houses along them constitute a certain charm. And in the evenings the city is immersed in the mysterious glow of many small light bulbs and it is particularly pleasant to walk through its streets. In Old Nessebar are located two museums – Archaeological and Ethnographic. In them you will be able to get acquainted with the history, culture and peculiarities of life of Bulgarians.
- Pomorie – a seaside town divided by an isthmus to the old and the new parts. On the streets of Pomorie is pleasant to walk (this applies especially to the old part), there are a lot of parks and beautiful flowers. The city is quiet and peaceful. Often, tourists move to permanent residence exactly hither.
Burgas – a port city with an amazing seaside park. In the park you can find everything: from a variety of convenient shops, monuments and flowerbeds to modern bicycle paths and cafes. The town itself is also quite interesting. To Burgas tourists are often travel for shopping (there is a large variety of goods, albeit with high prices).
- Sandy sculptures – unusual sculptures, which are created by masters from around the world at the annual exhibition in the park “Lake” in Burgas. Many tourists specially come to Burgas to see the beauty with their own eyes. An entrance to the festival is paid (the cost is 3 levs for an adult). We recommend to take with you: a camera, a bottle of mineral water and a hat to protect your head from the sun.
- It is hard to describe in words temples in Nessebar, it is just necessary to see them with your own eyes. Not in vain Old Nessebar is called the city of 40 churches. This is the number of churches, which in the olden days were placed on a small peninsula. By our time managed to find only 10, but they give an idea about the past greatness of this place. In the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (the newest temple of Nessebar), is located a miraculous icon of the Holy Virgin Odigitria, which helps to heal not only a body but also a soul.
- The Monastery of St. George in Pomorie – a very nice and “cozy” male monastery. On its territory is located a small museum, in which visitors can learn more about the life of the сhurch. The doors of the monastery are always warmly open to parishioners. To monastery shrines belong: a healing source, which, if you believe the rumors, gives a healing from many diseases and the miraculous icon of St. George, which helps those, who suffer.
- Temples of Burgas – we liked their architecture and antiquity. On the territory of one of the churches used to be a hospital, another church is famed for its huge size. It is remarkable, that temples in Burgas are generally concentrated in the city center, and therefore tourists, who come hither, will certainly see the beauty of these shrines.
Excursions in Bulgaria
We personally did not buy excursions in Bulgaria. We recommend to visit by bus or by rented car these coastal towns: Nessebar, Burgas, Varna, Pomorie – it is accessible to any tourist. We ventured to walk from Nessebar to Pomorie (almost 20 km) at one of the first days of out vacation, and were pleasantly surprised to discover amazing landscapes of Bulgarian nature. A good addition and discovery for us was a spit of Pomorie, to which we have repeatedly returned later.
To find out more about organized (paid) excursions and their prices, see our article: Prices and a schedule of excursions in Bulgaria in 2015 – 2016.
There are also excursions to other countries from Bulgaria: Greece, Turkey, Romania.
For your convenience we have written an article Bulgaria: an independent tourism or excursions? After reading it, you will finally decide on how you would better and easier travel around the country.
Useful links and interesting information:
- Bus schedules in the popular resorts of Bulgaria and ticket prices.
- The culture of Bulgarians or what people are in Bulgaria?
- Is it safe to swim in the waters of the Black Sea in Bulgaria?
- What is needed for a vacation in Bulgaria? How to get a visa?
- Advices about an insurance for a visa to Bulgaria.
- A variety of sights of Bulgaria with a lot of photos.
- In what period of the year is it better to rest in Bulgaria? Popular beachfront and ski resorts.
- What can be seen in summer in Bulgaria?
- Overview of the most popular resorts in Bulgaria.