We like the resorts of Bulgaria for a variety of beaches. The beaches of Nessebar are no exception. Here you can easily find both small wild beaches and equipped beaches with rescuers and first aid.
Despite the fact that the majority of Bulgarian beaches are sandy, in Nessebar you can also find small pebble beaches.
The bottom relief is also different – there are beaches with a very gently sloping bottom, ideal for families with children, and there are precipitous – for people who do not like to come into water for a long time.
Bulgaria is washed by the Black Sea. It is not very salty, so to swim in it a little harder than in the Adriatic Sea in Montenegro. The water is usually quite clear, although sometimes it is muddy due to sand or algae.
The only disadvantage of the beaches in Nessebar – the deficit of cabins for changing clothes.
So that you can make your own opinion, we have prepared a selection of the most interesting beaches of Nessebar with a brief description and photos. If desired, you can open a detailed article about the beach, which you are interested in. The map of the of beaches of Nessebar is at the end of the article.
There is some confusion with the names of beaches in Nessebar. For example, the beach to the north of Nessebar is called the North, and in Sunny Beach it is considered the South. There are signs with both variants and it confuses tourists. To make it clearer, we, in addition to traditional names of beaches, also give tourist, describing their characteristics. In this article we have not considered the hotel’s private beaches and fully paid beaches – in Nessebar there are enough free beaches.
A beach on sand dunes – the South Beach of Nessebar or simply the Dune
In our view the South Beach of Nessebar is one of the best in the town. The reviews of the majority of our familiar tourists only confirm this view.
Please note that there are often quite high waves. It is because of the influence of the bottom topography and the location of the beach in the open sea, not in a bay.
Sand dune, where you will sunbathe, is under the protection of UNESCO. There are organized all the comforts, rescuers and even an ambulance. Nearby there is a large park and even fountains with fresh water to wash feet.
There are paid and free zones. The paid zone is closer to the sea, and from the free zone you will have to walk a bit.
In summer the beach is a bit crowded, because it is located close to many hotels.
- The surface layer of the beach: sand;
- A bottom: sandy, with a very gentle slope, a long time to go into the water;
- The temperature and the purity of the water: the water is a bit cooler than in the North Beach, but much cleaner;
- Prices at the beach: sunbeds and sunshades cost for 8 levs per unit;
- Free zone: big, but it is located 15 meters from the sea, you can come with their sunshade;
- Security: at the beach there are rescuers and an ambulance car;
- Comfort: nearby there is faucet with fresh water for washing feet, but we did not find changing rooms and WC;
- Food: nearby there is an unpretentious eatery, where they sell fast food and corn;
- Available space at the beach: during the peak season there is a lot of people, but there is always a free space;
- The size of the beach: about 2 kilometers, if to include the beaches of hotels, the free zone is more than a kilometer;
The key advantages of the South Beach, in our opinion, are its developed infrastructure, clean sand and the sea, beautiful views of Old Nessebar. We recommend it!
It will be interesting: a detailed description of the South Beach of Nessebar (a beach on a sand dune)
A beach behind rocks (a beach near the city park) – wild, but comfortable, with a very clean water
This beach is quite small and it is difficult to get to it. It is necessary not only to go down the stairs, but also to climb over the heap of stones.
The beach and the bottom here are sandy, the depth is dialed quickly and is ideal for adults. Waves at this location are a rarity, and the water is a little warmer – the beach concealed by the peninsula of the Old Town.
If you go to the nearest park (which is very nice), you can find a nice gazebo, several benches, a playground for children and free fitness equipment.
If you wish you can come with your own sunshade. At this beach is usually quite a lot of people, but there were always a free place for us.
If you come here early in the morning, you can see small crabs among rocks and shoals of tiny fish swimming in the water.
And also from the beach there is an excellent view over Old Nessebar and a dock for yachts.
- The surface layer of the beach: sand, separated by a narrow strip of stones from the city;
- A bottom: sandy, with a fairly steep descent into the water. The depth will be up to the neck after 7-10 meters;
- The temperature and the purity of the water: the water is quite warm and clean, but sometimes there are algae;
- Prices at the beach: the beach is completely free;
- Security: the wild beach, where there is nothing;
- Comfort: next to the beach there is a large park with a gazebo, benches and a playground;
- Food: you will have to go to the town (1-2 minutes), there are cafes, ice cream, fast food;
- Available space at the beach: during a peak season it is crowded, but almost always there is a free space;
- The size of the beach: the beach is quite small, about 200 meters wide and 3-4 meters depth;
It is difficult to say why we liked this beach. There are no cabins for changing clothes or any other amenities. However, you will not need to go to the sea for a long time and the nature of this place is very beautiful…
You might be interested: a detailed description, photos and reviews of the wild beach behind rocks.
The North Beach of Nessebar – a beach in Sunny Beach
The North Beach of Nessebar is located between the city and Sunny Beach, where it is called the South Beach. The beach is big, comfortable and covered with fine sand. There are changing cabins, restaurants right on the beach, sun loungers and sunshades are paid (8 levs per item).
In this place is almost always a lot of people, it is difficult to get closer to the sea.
At the beach there are rescuers, their stations are located in every 50 meters. There are toilets and a lot of different water sports. On the sand are even lined wooden paths for the convenience of visitors.
The North Beach of Nessebar smoothly flows into the beaches of Sunny Beach, which stretch for 15 kilometers to the north.
To be honest, we did not really like the North Beach of Nessebar and we were there just few times.
Everything at the beach is aimed at extremely fast pumping money from tourists. It is very noticeable and a bit unpleasant.
Especially strong our impression of this beach gone bad when we saw how in the evening algae were raked back into the sea from the beach.
- The surface layer of the beach: fine sand, sometimes with stones, but rarely;
- A bottom: sandy, a fairly average descent;
- The temperature and the purity of the water: the water is quite warm, the beach is in a bay. There are a lot of people, and therefore the water in a peak season may seem slightly hazy;
- Prices at the beach: sun loungers and sunshades are for 8 levs per each, other prices are quite high;
- Free zone: takes about one-third of the beach, alternating with paid sunshades. Feel free to come with your sunshade;
- Security: at the beach there are rescuers and an ambulance car;
- Comfort: there is a shower with fresh water, changing cabins and a toilet;
- Food: directly at the beach there are several restaurants with a fairly high prices;
- Available space at the beach: in a peak season there are a lot of people, not always there are good seats;
- The size of the beach: the beach smoothly flows into the beaches of Sunny Beach, which stretch for 15 kilometers;
Small beaches in Old Nessebar – original and interesting
In the Old Town is almost no place for beaches. Therefore, there are a lot of them, but they all are tiny. Most often the surface layer of beaches – very small shells, but there are also sandy beaches.
Most of the beaches on the peninsula are wild. The only equipped option is Old Nessebar Beach, where there is a rescuers station, paid sunshades (cost only 5 levs), medical service, a changing room and a toilet. This beach is very tiny, but there is almost always enough of free space.
Old Nessebar Beach is located in a place where the peninsula protrudes into the sea, a little to the south and is hidden from sea waves. The water here is usually very warm and quite clean.
- The surface layer of the beach: small shells, which do not cut your feet;
- A bottom: shells and some of sand, a pretty average descent;
- The temperature and the purity of the water: the water is quite warm, the beach is in a bay. Here there are no lots of people, and therefore the water is clean;
- Prices at the beach: sun loungers and sunshades cost for 5 levs per each, other prices are quite high;
- Free zone: occupies about a quarter of the beach. The rest part of the beach is reserved for paid sunshades and sun loungers. But there is enough of free space for all;
- Security: at the beach there are rescuers and an aid post;
- Comfort: there are changing cabins and a toilet;
- Food: you can go to one of the restaurants of the Old Town, but prices there are high;
- Available space at the beach: usually there are no lots of people;
- The size of the beach: quite small, like a half of football field, even less;
It is not very interesting to rest here all the time. But it is worth to come here at least once. Sceneries around are really fantastic. The only thing that confused us: the presence of a seaport nearby.
Useful article: an overview and reviews about the beaches of Old Nessebar
Beaches on breakwaters – inconvenient, but with very clean water
Between Old Nessebar and Sunny Beach there is an embankment of about 2 kilometers long. In evenings there operate rides and very very stupid contests, and also you can listen to music. For example, it was proposed to throw an egg into a man’s face. One shot – one lev [/ lev].
During a day some people swim here. It is very inconvenient to go into the water, you will have to dive right from a pier. But there is a plus – the water in this place is amazingly clean and clear.
The beaches of Nessebar on a city map
As we promised, at the end of the article there is a map with the beaches of Nessebar marked on it. If you have any photos of the beaches of Nessebar or if you want to write about your favorite beach – do not hesitate to contact us!
Our view: brief reviews about the beaches of Nessebar
To help you to choose, we will leave our brief reviews about the beaches of Nessebar.
The beaches of Nessebar – a review from Victor
To be honest, in Nessebar is more than enough of beaches. Even in the beginning of September the water was warm and clean. During the 14 days of our holiday only once it was a small storm. Waves have risen high enough, but, nevertheless, we swam.
Prices at the beaches are high. A sunshade will cost 8 levs per day – it is easier to buy it for 10-12 levs or to bring with you from home.
I’m not a big fan of spending holidays at the beach and my wife and I traveled a lot. It’s good, that in Nessebar there are interesting sights, as well as buses to other towns and resorts in Bulgaria.
Among the beaches of Nessebar I especially recommend Sand Dunes and the wild beach behind rocks (near the city park). If we talk about the whole of Bulgaria – I like Pomorie and a wild beach on a spit. There it was really cool.
The beaches of Nessebar – a review from Alina
Despite the fact that the sea water near the coast of Nessebar was clean and clear, to me it seemed a bit cool (especially when compared to the Adriatic Sea in Montenegro). During our holiday there was a great weather. Even in a single stormy day the sun was shining, and the depths of the sea, however, lured vacationers to compete with the waves.
For me, the favorite beach in Nessebar was the beach behind rocks. There, we could always find a free place, and amazing view of the old town conquered us at first sight. Early in the morning in the crystal clear water near the rocks of the beach we found small crabs and oysters.
The South Beach of Nessebar seemed to me less attractive, as it was necessary to think constantly about the ranks of sunshades, towering along the shore and carefully to evade tourists beneath them. For the same reason the North Beach of Nessebar (the beginning of the coast of Sunny Beach) was immediately rejected by us. Crowds of tourists scurrying like ants not only along the beach, but also in the water, did not promise a pleasant stay.
We did not sunbathe specially, but, nevertheless, we have got a little sunburn, during our walking from Nessebar to Pomorie. Therefore, I advise to all lovers of chocolate suntan to take a sunscreen and a sunshade before holiday (or to buy locally).
The photos of beaches and the sea close to Nessebar – beautiful sceneries, which you want to admire
Nessebar is a beautiful city. Here you can take so much good photos, that we even have allocated them into a separate article: The photos of Nessebar and its surroundings.
Here we post the photos of the sea, beaches and a coastal strip. Each photo is signed (you need to move the cursor of a mouse on it) and opens in full size by clicking the mouse.
Useful articles and interesting photos:
- An interesting article about the beaches of Bulgaria
- A selection of the best photos of Nessebar during our vacation
- The sea in Bulgaria – everything you wanted to know.
- A beach near the sand dune – the South Beach of Nessebar.
- The beaches of Sunny Beach – the most expensive in the country
- A wild beach near the city park of Nessebar
- The beaches in the Old Town of Nessebar
- A wild beach on the spit of Pomorie